Welcome to the Lens' 14 - 18 museum.

1914 - 1918 Great War history Center

on the Western Front in Northern France.

Opened on 9 June 2015, Lens’ 14 - 18 is a free exhibition centre for those events and battles of the First World War which took place in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of France.


It is located between Souchez village and the Ring of Remembrance to Ablain Saint Nazaire, at the foot of the Notre-Dame-de-Lorette hill, which was the stage of fierce combat.

This major historical site occupied a strategic position between the Ypres salient in Belgium and the battlefields of the Somme in France. The village was destroyed during the 1915 Battles of Artois and rebuilt in the 1920s.

The hundred or so kilometres of front line between French Flanders and Artois saw nearly 580,000 soldiers killed, of around forty different nationalities. Their names are commemorated on the Anneau de la Mémoire  : Ring of Remembrance — Notre-Dame-de-Lorette International Memorial, which is located 1,500 m (1640 yard) away, and their military records can be accessed using the digital tablets in the Lens’ 14 - 18 museum’s remembrance space.

Ideally situated between the WW1 sites of the Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery, the Canadian National Vimy Memorial, the Maison Blanche German War Cemetery and the Notre-Dame-de-Lorette International Memorial and world war one cemetery, the War and Peace History Centre is an unmissable stop on your pilgrimage and an essential part of any Great War remembrance visit to the Northern France.

" A must-see museum during the battlefield tours and

the visits in the french Commonwealth cemeteries "

The temporary exhibition 2017 :

Vimy 1917, The underground war of Canadians

Temporary exhibition to Lens 14-18 museum

Opening times

Open from Tuesday to Sunday

10.00 am to 5.00 pm


Exceptional opening the Mondays 10 and 17 April 2017


Close on Mondays

Annual closure in January and 12/25, 1/1 and 5/1.


Free entry


Audioguide 3€ / person


Guided tours provided by the Lens Liévin Tourism Office


Booking required : 

Tel : 33 321 74 83 15

Lenght of visit 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours.

Getting here - Follow directions :

It is the Ring of memory' museum where you can consult the databases for the names engraved on the International memorial of Notre Dame de lorette (Hauts de France). #remembrancedayiseveryday

It is located in Souchez, near Arras and Vimy battlefield (with the Vimy Canadian memorial and the Wellington quarry), in Nord Pas-de-Calais region, at the foot of the Notre-Dame-de-Lorette hill. This museum is on the remember road from Ypres salient to Somme battlefields. Nearby the major sites of the Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery or the Canadian National Vimy Memorial or Dud Corner cemetery to Loos en Gohelle (Battle of Loos).  

1914 war of movement, 1915 battle of Loos and battle of Lorette, 1916 Somme battles ; April 1917 battle arras - vimy ; 1918 armistice

WW1 world war one museum ww1 WWI not secund world war or ww2